The Best Fences for Winter in Dekalb and Batavia, IL
Winters in Chicago can be harsh, with freezing temperatures and several inches of snow. These conditions can take a toll on any outdoor structures, including the fencing around your home. At Paramount Fencing, we’re here to help you find the best fences for winter in Chicago, IL, ensuring your fence will be better equipped to withstand all the snow, wind, and cold conditions we experience. Our team has many years of experience serving residents of Dekalb, Cook, Kane and Dupage counties. We’ll help you choose the right fencing for your needs and provide professional installation. Please contact us today to learn more about the many fencing services we provide to residents in the area.
Cold Climates Present Fencing Challenges
Climates that regularly experience cold temperatures present unique challenges when it comes to fencing. Frozen ground, snow, freezing rain, and wind can all affect the durability and longevity of your fence. It’s important to understand the challenges of colder climates and choose a fence that will be able to handle the harsh weather of the Midwest. Perhaps the biggest challenge you’ll encounter when shopping for a fence to withstand cold climates is finding a material that is durable but also aesthetically pleasing, as these two features don’t always go hand-in-hand. Our team can help you find the right fencing to meet all these needs, as we offer a range of attractive and durable fencing options.
What Fencing Materials Are Best for Cold Climates?
There are many fencing materials that are suitable for cold temperatures and winter conditions. Many of these options are still affordable and will provide a durable solution to your fencing needs. However, all of these durable fencing options come with their own unique pros and cons, and each option will also vary in price. Our team can help you find the right type of fencing to meet your needs and budget by explaining all the options we have available. Continue reading to learn more about the winter-friendly fencing materials we offer.
While most people may assume wood isn’t a good fencing material to choose for harsh weather conditions, it can actually be a durable solution for homes in the Chicago area. While it may not last as long as vinyl or aluminum, a wood fence provides a beautiful and natural aesthetic other materials cannot. Western Red Cedar fencing is naturally resistant to rot and decay. If you are not up to the maintenance requirements of wood fencing, it’s probably not the best option for you. For many people, the benefits of wood fencing far outweigh its maintenance needs. Wood fencing can be a great option because it is:
- Customizable: You can choose to stain or paint your wood fencing, allowing you to fully customize the look to meet the style of your home. You’ll have endless color and stain options to make your fencing look unique.
- Aesthetically Pleasing: The natural look of wood brings beauty and aesthetic value to your property. Not to mention, you can choose from many attractive designs and styles of wood fencing.
Chain Link Fencing
Chain link fencing may not be the most attractive option of fencing, but what it lacks in aesthetic value, it makes up for in other ways. It’s an excellent option for homeowners who don’t have a considerable amount of money to spend on fencing. Not to mention, chain link fencing still does the job of securing your yard. If you’re more concerned about function and less concerned about appearance, chain link fencing could be the right option for you. This isn’t to say that chain link fences are ugly. They just offer less in terms of aesthetics compared to other options. Many homeowners prefer chain link fencing for cold climates for the following reasons:
- Low Maintenance: When it comes to fencing, chain link fencing requires the lowest level of maintenance.
- Budget-Friendly: Chain link fences provide security on a budget. This fencing option will keep pets in and unwanted visitors out, all while remaining within your budget.
- Durable: Chain link fencing is one of the most durable fencing options, as it can withstand brutal weather conditions and high winds that other materials can’t tolerate.
Chicago sees a lot of snow and other precipitation each year, which can make conditions wet when the snow or ice melt on warmer days. Aluminum is a great option if you want your fence to be able to withstand these wet conditions. Because aluminum is entirely resistant to water, it’s ideal for any locations where moisture is frequently present. This includes around pools or hot tubs. Aluminum fencing can hold up to the moisture of snow and rain but may not be as strong against severe winds. However, this material is still a good option for homes in the Chicago area. Aluminum fences are a great option because they:
- Are Suitable for Uneven Ground: Aluminum fencing provides a suitable fencing solution for properties with uneven ground or areas where the soil is often wet. Its design makes it easily adaptable to uneven ground, so you don’t have to spend extra money leveling the area first.
- Provide Many Different Options: You’ll have the option to choose from a variety of designs and colors, allowing you to completely personalize the look of your new fence.
Vinyl fencing is a great all-around choice for homes in Chicago and the surrounding counties of Dekalb and Dupage. This type of fencing comes in many styles and colors to match the design of your home. Though vinyl fencing provides aesthetic value, it doesn’t mean you’ll have to sacrifice function or durability, as vinyl is incredibly strong and will last for a long time. It’s an excellent investment for your Midwest property, providing added security and privacy to your backyard space. Vinyl fencing makes a perfect choice for the following reasons:
- Low Maintenance: For homeowners who don’t want to deal with frequent maintenance, vinyl fencing is the right choice. The vinyl is very durable and will not require yearly maintenance to keep it in good condition.
- Weather Resistant: Even though vinyl is rather lightweight, it is still strong and resistant to harsh weather. You can count on your vinyl fencing to stand up to the harsh winters of Chicago, providing the security and privacy you need all year long.
Affordable: When compared to other fencing options, like wrought iron, vinyl fencing is relatively more affordable. This is especially true when you take into consideration how long a new vinyl fence will last. Though you may spend a little more upfront, you’ll get years of use out of a vinyl fence.
Fencing Maintenance Is Important
As a homeowner, you know first-hand that owning property comes with many responsibilities, including maintaining structures on your property. Though choosing a durable fence that can withstand the Midwest’s harsh winter weather is vital for the longevity of your fence, it is equally as important to properly maintain that fence. Cutting corners on fencing maintenance can significantly reduce the durability of your fence, which can lead to degradation and the need to replace your fence prematurely. The team at Paramount Fencing will ensure you know all about the maintenance requirements of your new fence, and we can even complete some of these services for you. Even the strongest fence won’t last long without the proper care.
Can I Install Fencing in the Winter?
Winter doesn’t seem like the most opportune time to install a fence, but the truth is there is no reason to wait until spring arrives to complete this task. In fact, winter is often a great time to install a new fence. During the winter months, trees and bushes have stopped growing and are more manageable, making it easier to install a fence on any property with vegetation. Not to mention, contractors are often less busy in the winter, which means they will have the time to get your project completed quickly.
Contact Us Today
Please reach out to Paramount Fencing today if you have additional questions about our fencing solutions and which options will work best for your home. Our team is here to provide all the information you need and can even offer a quote for our services. Give us a call today!
The post Fences for Cold Climates appeared first on Paramount Fence.